Skip to main content

Community Engagement and Research Certificate - Graduate and Professional Application Guidelines

Community Engagement and Research Certificate home Program Goals Curriculum Application and Admission
People Resources Forms

Graduate students from any discipline are eligible to apply for enrollment in the Graduate Certificate program. To be admitted into the Graduate Certificate program, current graduate students must complete the following application requirements.

  1. Print and complete the certificate application.
  2. Mail your completed application to Sharon Schumacher, Box 2455 Clinical Science Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792 or scschumache2atwisc [dot] edu
  3. Graduate Certificate applications are reviewed on a rolling basis by the Certificate Advisory Committee and the ICTR Faculty Governance Committee.
  4. NOTE: International students are required to enroll as full-time students, i.e., a minimum of eight credits. Please contact Sharon Schumacher to discuss a course plan meeting the eight-credit requirement before applying to the program.
  5. Notification of admission to the Graduate Certificate program: If you have completed the application procedures described above, you will receive notification of the admission decision within six weeks. If you have any questions about the status of your application, feel free to contact Sharon Schumacher at scschumache2atwisc [dot] edu.
  6. After you have been admitted, the Certificate Advisors will review your stated research interests and recommend an advisor for you. Soon after that you will be notified with the name and contact information of your advisor. Schedule a meeting with your Certificate Advisor within the first month of your Certificate program to identify learning and career objectives and to discuss your program in relation to your goals.
  7. Note to PhD students: You may want to start your Community Engagement and Research Certificate program early enough to be finished before you start your dissertation because University policy states: “If a dissertator wants to add a program (typically a master's program) or a certificate program, he/she cannot hold dissertator fee status while pursuing a graduate degree (or certificate) in a field other than the Ph.D. program. Dissertators who add a program or a certificate program must enroll and pay fees as a regular graduate student.”

Professional Certificate Enrollment Procedures

The Professional Certificate is for students enrolled in professional programs: Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD), Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Juris Doctorate (JD), Master of Public Health (MPH), and Doctorate in Nursing Practice (DNP). Application procedures may differ among the various professional programs. If you are a professional student and would like to earn the Professional Certificate in Community Engagement and Research, contact Sharon Schumacher at scschumache2atwisc [dot] edu.


After you have been admitted to the Certificate program, you will be contacted with the name of your Certificate Adviser. An objective is to match each student with an adviser from a discipline other than their own, to expose students to a variety of perspectives.