The Clinical Research Unit (CRU) is a 24/7 unit located on D6/6 in UW Hospital (600 Highland Ave. Madison, WI 53792). The CRU serves both investigator-initiated and industry studies, in subject populations ages 13 and above. [If your subjects are under 13 years old, contact CRU Clinical Nurse Specialist Tammy Kiger prior to submitting an application or consult, to determine whether subjects can be seen on the CRU. (Contact information can be found below.)]
The CRU has an RN research staff, a bionutritionist, and a sample processing lab. All nursing staff are Advanced Cardiac Life Support and chemotherapy certified. As a hospital unit, the CRU must follow hospital policies and Joint Commission requirements.
The CRU has 15 inpatient-outpatient rooms, two outpatient rooms, and a four-bay outpatient treatment area. For federal and other investigator-initiated studies, nursing services and rooms are provided at no cost to ICTR members. The CRU also welcomes industry studies, for which the sponsor pays hospital-based research charges.
Because the CRU is a UWHC ancillary service that will result in UWHC or UWMF charges or fees that will be billed to the subject or research account, the use of ICTR OnCore (or UWCCC OnCore, if applicable) is required (regardless of the study’s funding source).
For more information about the CRU, contact Tammy Kiger, MSN, RN. For CRU Protocol Application Process related questions, please contact Danielle Gale. (Contact information below.)
- CRU Budgeting Toolkit (4 PDFS)
- Conditions of Award (Word Doc)
- Consult and Protocol Initiation Meeting Checklist (Word Doc)
- Fees for Industry Studies (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Guidance for Study Implementation (PDF)
- Process Overview (PDF)
- Research in Health Link (includes FAQ and Resources) (U Connect site)
- UW-Madison Institutional Review Boards
- UW-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health
- Research and Sponsored Programs (RSP)
- National Institutes of Health
- NIH RePORTER
D6/6 in UW Hospital
600 Highland Ave. Madison, WI 53792-6736
Tammy Kiger, RN, MS
CRU Nurse Manager
CRU Protocol Manager