The NIH-funded i2b2 tool provides an easy-to-use, self-service method for UW researchers to query the UW Health Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) to learn: “Does the EDW contain a group or cohort of patients who all have certain characteristics?” i2b2 contains search criteria related to cancer cases, demographics, diagnostic codes (ICD9 and ICD10), laboratory results, medications, and procedure (CPT) codes.
The i2b2 tool returns an approximate number of patients matching the search criteria, but does not provide any patient identifiers or additional clinical data beyond the search terms. Investigators can store their cohort searches online and later consult with CHI2 staff to discuss how they might retrieve detailed clinical data on patient cohorts for research purposes.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
- To request access to i2b2, submit a CHI2 Consult form, and check “I need an i2b2 account” under Preparatory to Research Activities.
- You will receive a confirmation when your credentials have been granted access to i2b2.
- Instructions to help you get started are here, in the UW-Madison i2b2 manual; i2b2 users at all skill levels may benefit from the manual as it provides tips for using both basic and advanced i2b2 features.
- Please consider attending one of our i2b2 training sessions to familiarize yourself with the tool and its functionality. Register here for an i2b2 Training Session.
Where to access i2b2
Guide to i2b2
Upcoming Training Events
More on i2b2
- Request custom training for yourself and your team by visiting the CHI2 Consult page and checking “I would like to request i2b2 custom training” under Preparatory to Research Activities.
- After you are logged into i2b2, click ‘Help’ in the upper right-hand side of the i2b2 workbench.