Qualitative Research Group
A working group for UW researchers who are actively engaged in collecting and/or analyzing qualitative data. The group meets twice a month for two hours each time. All participants must commit to regular attendance.
For more information, please contact Nora Jacobson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Consultation is available to researchers in the proposal or project development stage for:
- Selecting the appropriate qualitative method
- Knowing when and how to use qualitative methods in a mixed methods study
- Combining qualitative and quantitative research methods, when appropriate
- Go to Community Academic Research Consult Form
This Learn@UW course is geared to the novice qualitative researcher. It includes modules devoted to topics like data collection, data analysis, and critical appraisal and is designed to be cumulative from module to module. However, individuals wishing to find information about a particular topic can dip into single modules as needed.
To enroll in the course, contact Nora Jacobson at email@example.com
Quarterly Workshops and Online Lecture Series
Quarterly workshops are devoted to the basics of qualitative and mixed methods research. Each workshop includes a lecture and an experiential learning exercise. All lectures are video captured and are made available online.
A full listing of video captured workshops & lectures is available here: Quarterly Workshops & Online Lecture Series (PDF)
- UW School of Education Qualitative Methods Resources – http://website.education.wisc.edu/qrm/?page_id=38
A compilation of resources on qualitative methods including academic programs, course offerings, reading lists and links to other web sites.
- Qualitative Research Courses offered at UW-Madison – http://soequal.wceruw.org/UWcourses.html
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Qualitative Research Guidelines Project – http://www.qualres.org/
Useful for developing, evaluating and engaging in qualitative research projects in healthcare settings.
- Research Methods Knowledge Base – http://www.socialresearchmethods.net/kb/qual.php
Introduction to the idea of qualitative research (and how it is related to quantitative research) and orientation to the major types of qualitative research data, approaches and methods.
- e-Source: Behavioral & Social Sciences Research – http://www.esourceresearch.org/
Interactive, online course on research methods and tools for researchers engaging in behavioral and social sciences research on health-related topics.